As of June 01, 2016, 185 universities in Ukraine are engaged in training of foreign students.
The admission of foreigners to the educational establishment of Ukraine is conducted according to the “Regulations on the admission of foreigners and stateless persons to study in higher educational establishment”, approved by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine on 05.08.1998 under No.1238.
According to the Law of Ukraine “On higher education», Ukrainian universities provide the following trainings:
- Pre-university training:
– Bachelor Junior – training period comprises 2 – 4 years (vocational schools). Training is conducted on the basis of completed secondary education in higher educational establishments of I-II levels of accreditation.
- University training:
– Bachelor – training period comprises 4 years;
– Master – training period comprises 1 – 2 years;
– Post-graduate education:
- Doctor of Philosophy– training period comprises 4 years;
- Doctor of Science– training period comprises 2 years.
Higher education may be acquired at educational establishments of III-IV levels of accreditation: universities, academies and institutes.
Procedure to obtain higher legal education in Ukraine for foreign students:
In general, higher education establishments does not impose specific requirements for foreign students receiving. The may be admitted on general terms if there are available places. Thus, the basic principles of entry for foreigners in Ukrainian universities consists in the following steps:
- “Invitation to study”:
The first step in the process of admission to the Ukrainian higher educational establishment involves prior “Invitation to study”.
To receive the invitation to study it is necessary to send a request to the All-Ukrainian Higher Council of Lawyers of Ukraine the following documents:
- Request on admission;
- Copy of identification document with certified translation in Ukrainian;
- Copy of previous education Diploma and its Supplement with notarized translation in Ukrainian;
- Copy of national passport;
- Written consent to processing of personal data;
- Copy of the medical certificate;
- Copy of payment receipt for the first year of studies at the university (in case of visa denial, this amount will be refunded).
Before the submission, documents shall be duly translated into Ukrainian.
Invitation shall be valid for six months from the date of its issue. Terms of invitation as well as the duration of the relevant educational and professional courses, educational, scientific, research programs, training programs of academic mobility, language programs and postgraduate training shall be established by educational establishment and are subject to the conditions of admission to the higher educational establishments of Ukraine prescribed by the Ministry of Education.
Citizens of visa countries and those countries with which Ukraine signed an agreement on visa-free stay of 90 days (tourist, private and business travel) should receive long-term visa to Ukraine (type D visa), which allows them to stay in the country for more than 90 days. In order to obtain type D visa, the applicant should submit to the Consulate or Embassy of Ukraine in his / her home country set of the following documents:
- properly completed application form;
- original “Invitation to study”;
- valid passport;
- photos 3×4 cm;
- valid health insurance (if applicable);
Documents shall be submitted three months before the planned arrival. Also, pay attention to the fact that all documents must be translated and duly certified.
Once an applicant is determined with the date of arrival to Ukraine, he / she shall inform the International Department of the University on the date, time and point of arrival in person or through AISLC. The AUSLC organizes the meeting and supports entrant to the place of future study.
According to the Procedure on recruitment and training (internship) of foreigners and stateless persons, approved by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine on November 1, 2013 under No. 1541 (as revised under the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine on 11.12.2015 under No. 1272), foreigners shall be admitted to accredited educational programs in such terms:
- Twice a year – till November 01 and March 01: to obtain Junior Bachelor degree, Bachelor degree, Master degree;
- During a year to study at postgraduate programs;
- During a year to study at preparatory courses, advance training courses, under procedure of transfer and renewal;
- During a year to study at academic mobility program – according to the Regulation on the right to academic mobility, approved by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine on August 12, 2015 No. 579.
After receiving the invitation and visa, foreign students have to come to the university from 20 August to 15 November of the current year. It is necessary to have the following set of documents:
- Invitation to study;
- Passport with type D visa and two notarized translations in Ukraine;
- Birth certificate and notarized translation in Ukrainian;
- A certificate of previously gained education and supplement to it, indicating the subjects which the student studied and received points and notarized translation in Ukrainian;
- Cover letter;
- Consent to the processing of personal data;
- Medical certificate issued by health authority of home country and notarized translation in Ukrainian OR medical certificate 086-y issued by Ukrainian health authority;
- Certificate on absence of HIV infection and notarized translation in Ukrainian;
- photos 3х4 cm;
- Return ticket with open date of return to home country (if applicable);
- In some cases, a candidate may be asked to submit a permanent residence certificate.
After receiving of invitation and the arrival of students to university, the Admission Committee assigns an interview, which shall reveal the level of knowledge in basic subjects of chosen specialty. In addition, the Admission Committee determines the level of language of a candidate (Ukrainian, Russian or English).
If the foreigner does not speak the language of instruction at a sufficient level, he/she will be asked to pass prior language course where he/she will be able to learn basic subjects in the chosen specialty. Preparatory course usually lasts one-year prior enrollment
Admission of foreign students to higher educational establishments of Ukraine is conducted on the basis of review and evaluation performed by the Admission Committee. Each establishment determines the requirements for foreign students separately.
Postgraduate education for foreigners
In addition, foreign students can also acquire PhD or doctorate degrees at Ukrainian universities. Training in these areas is carried out on general terms with the citizens of Ukraine.
Ph.D. is the first degree, which may be acquired at the third level of higher education on the basis of previously obtained Master Degree. Doctor of Science is a second degree, which is acquired after Ph.D. and provides the acquisition of highest competencies in chosen field.
To be admitted to postgraduate training program a candidate shall submit the following documents:
- The application addressed to the Rector;
- Personal data sheet staff;
- The list of published scientific works and inventions. Students who have published scientific works and inventions submit scientific reports (abstracts) in chosen specialty;
- The medical certificate of health on Form N 286-y;
- Copy of Specialist or Master Diploma (persons who have received appropriate education abroad – a nostrificated copy of diploma);
- The certificate of candidate examinations (if applicable).
On admission to the Doctorate Program, the individual shall add also:
- Comprehensive plan of dissertation for the degree of Doctor of Science (hereinafter – the doctoral thesis);
- Copy of diploma awarding PhD degree (in the case of a proper education abroad – a copy of diploma).
Foreign applicants, who have expressed a desire to study in Ukraine, may apply to the All-Ukrainian Higher Council of Lawyers for detailed information on admission to a particular university, tuition, list of necessary documents, coming and living in Ukraine, as well as rapid cultural adaptation.