Legal education in Ukraine ─ specialized higher education sector, which plays an important role in the development and improvement of the democratic, social state ruled by law.
Significant socio-economic changes of 90s caused the development of legal education, the task of which was to develop the Ukrainian statehood. With the development of an independent country, it was necessary to reveal qualitatively new knowledge in the legal field, which contributed to the development of legal educational establishments.
After signing the Bologna Convention on May 19, 2005, Ukraine adopted the Bologna process and reformed its education system by adapting the educational standards of the European Union.
The structure of legal education based on advanced educational systems of foreign countries in accordance with the recommendations of the European Union and international declarations. Higher legal education is an integral part of higher education in Ukraine and is regulated by the Law of Ukraine “On Higher Education”.
Law degree can be obtained in educational institutions of the appropriate level of accreditation. To come to study in the university, applicants have to complete secondary education or obtain qualification of bachelor junior. For postgraduate education candidate must have a document, which confirms that he/she has a higher education qualification of Master.
Thus, according to the legislation of Ukraine, higher education has the following skill levels:
|Stage||Level of qualification||Training period||
Corresponding foreign qualification levels
|Postgraduate education||Doctor of Science||Doctor of Judicial Science (D.J.S.), (J.D.), (L.L.B.)|
|Doctor of Philosophy (Postgraduate studies)||1-2 years (30-60 ECTS credits)||Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)|
|1-2 years (90-120 ECTS credits educational and professional program; 120 ECTS credits – scientific thesis)||
Master of Law (LL.M)
|3-4 years (180-240 ECTS credits) or 2-3 years (based on Bachelor Junior level)||
Bachelor of Law (LL.B)
The initial higher education
|Bachelor Junior (Diploma of Bachelor Junior)||2-3 years (90-120 ECTS credits)|
Entry Level, Bachelor Junior, is the educational and professional level, which involves getting general cultural and professional training, expertise and skills and some experience of practical use to perform common tasks provided for primary positions in the relevant field of professional activity. A person has the right to acquire younger bachelor level based on completed secondary education.
The first cycle of higher education, Bachelor level, foresees gaining theoretical and practical knowledge for their successful application in the chosen specialty. The Bachelor Level is acquired on the basis of completed secondary education at higher education establishments and is awarded for successfully completed educational and professional program of the establishments.
The second cycle of higher education, Mater/Specialist, involves getting of deep theoretical and / or practical knowledge and skills in chosen profession, as well as basic methods and / or professional activities sufficient to perform innovative tasks. The Master’s degree is acquired based on educational qualification of Bachelor.
The third cycle of higher education is educational research, which involves gaining of theoretical knowledge and skills that are sufficient for new ideas, solving complex problems in professional and / or research field and innovation, as well as mastery of the methodology of scientific and educational activities, and conducting own research, the results of which have theoretical and practical value.
Scientific level of higher education involves the acquisition of competence in development and implementation of methodologies and research techniques, new knowledge and / or advanced technologies development, solving of important scientific or applied problem that has national or global significance.
A person who wishes to enter a higher educational institution in Ukraine should perform a certain procedure. The applicant may apply in person by contacting the admissions committee of the selected university, or may use the electronic portal of the State Unified Electronic Database on Education. Typically, the filing period is from 5 July to 5 August. Applicant have to submit:
- Application for admission;
- Certificate of external independent evaluation (ZNO) for applicants on the basis of complete secondary education;
- A copy and the original document of secondary education (certificate) and supplement;
- Medical certificate form 086-y;
- Copy of the document proving identity and citizenship;
- Four color photographs 3 x 4 cm;
- Permit the processing of personal data.
Rules for admission of foreigners:
- Invitation for studying;
- Document for identification of individual and two certified copies of passport translation in Ukrainian;
- Birth certificate and notarized translation in Ukrainian;
- Document of previous education and supplement to it, specifying the subjects which the student studied and received points and notarized translation in Ukrainian;
- Cover letter;
- Consent to processing of personal data;
- Medical health certificate, certified by an official health authority of the country from which the foreigner has arrived not earlier than two months before leaving to study to Ukraine and notarized translation in Ukrainian;
- Certificate of absence of HIV infection and notarized translation in Ukrainian;
- Six photos 3×4 cm;
- Return ticket with an open date return for up to one year;
- In some cases, foreign students have to confirm knowledge of English and submit to the selection committee of university certificate of TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge English Language Assessment
Other copies of the documents submitted by an entrant if this is due to special conditions of admission.
Original documents shall be submitted only once when choosing a place of study (the requirements for admission).
There may be additional documents required for admission to postgraduate studies that are specified in Admission rules of a particular university.