Postgraduate education is the third level of higher education during which candidates take part in researches, development projects, write and defense scientific papers. Postgraduate education is acquired in academies, institutes of postgraduate education, vocational education, the structural units of higher education, scientific, educational and research institutions in the order established by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine
Postgraduate legal studies in Ukraine has two levels:
- Traineeship (Doctor of Philosophy)
- Doctoral program (Doctor of Science)
Traineeship (as Doctoral program) is a form of training of teaching staff at higher education institutions and their structural units. Candidates with Specialist of Master Diploma in Ukraine, or their equivalences abroad may be admitted to postgraduate school. After completion of education at postgraduate school, the candidate is awarded with a title of Doctor of Philosophy, which is also the first academic degree in a series of post-graduate training.
Specialized academic council of a university or research institution awards Doctor of Philosophy title to individual who has successfully completed educational and scientific program and defended the thesis.
Postgraduate PhD program lasts four years.
Individuals with a scientific degree of Doctor of Philosophy, scientific achievements and published works in selected scientific specialty and who are able to carry out fundamental and applied researches may be admitted to Doctoral program. After graduating candidate receives a title of Doctor of Sciences, which is also the second academic degree in a series of post-graduate education.
Education on Doctoral Program provides the highest competence in the development and implementation of research methodology, conduct of original research to obtain scientific results that provide a solution of important theoretical or applied problems of national and global significance and published in scientific journals.
Specialized Academic Council of the university or research institution for the results of the public defense of scientific achievements awards title of Doctor of Science as a thesis or a published monograph, or set of articles published in national and international peer-reviewed professional journals list approved by the central executive authority in the field of education and science.
In order to attend postgraduate school, candidates shall submit the following documents:
- The application addressed to the Rector;
- personal data sheet staff;
- The list of published scientific works and inventions. Students who have published scientific works and inventions submit scientific reports (abstracts) in chosen specialty;
- The medical certificate of health on Form N 286-y;
- copy of Specialist or Master Diploma (persons who have received appropriate education abroad – a nostrificated copy of diploma);
- The certificate of candidate examinations (if applicable).
On admission to the Doctorate Program, the individual shall add also:
- comprehensive plan of dissertation for the degree of Doctor of Science (hereinafter – the doctoral thesis);
- copy of diploma awarding PhD degree (in the case of a proper education abroad – a copy of diploma).